Maybe you want to select one motor driver for your stepper motor, but don’t know how to choose. This article will help you to understand the whole thing.
What is a Stepper Motor Driver?
Before you choose a driver, it is good for you to know what actually the stepper driver is.
1. A stepper driver is an electronic device which changes the current into the plus.
2. It actually does nothing on its own; it needs to be used with a controller.
3. There are various kinds of stepper drivers. You need to select it according to the motor.
4. The basic function of them is to drive the motor.
Why you need a Stepper Motor Drive?
And you need to know why a stepper motor driver is necessary.
1. The voltage and the current required by the motor are not from the controller.
2. The stepper driver could transform the movement instructions into the sequences.
3. The sequences will be fed into the winding of unipolar step motor to make the motor run.
There are basically two types of stepper drivers according to the driver circuits. Namely, they are the constant-voltage drivers and the constant-current drivers.
The Constant-Voltage Drive:
1. Compared with the constant-current drivers, the constant-voltage drivers are less costly.
2. These drivers provide the constant-voltage to create torque.
3. Normally, the constant-drivers are not so efficient.
4. The performance of the constant-voltage drivers is worse than constant-current drivers.
The Constant-Current Drive:
1. The constant-current drivers are more expensive than the constant-voltage drivers.
2. The circuits used in these drivers are more complex.
3. These drivers generate a constant current flow to driven the stepper motors.
4. The performance of the constant-current drivers is better than the constant-voltage drivers.
The constant-current drivers are commonly used due to the better motor performance. Another reason for its popularity is the availability of many ICs.
Know More about the Digital Stepper Drivers & the Analog Stepper Drives
Digital Stepper Drives
These drivers are implemented by using the most modern technology. They are easy to use and can be effectively used for driving 2-phase or 4-phase motors. Some digital stepper driver can work with a voltage of 24-70 VDC and it maximum current can reach 10.0 A. And you can use DIP switch to set the required current and micro-steps resolution.
Some features of the digital stepper drivers you may concern:
2. The motor movement will become smooth.
3. Low heat and noise.
4. Support multi-axis control
5. The micro-step resolution is selectable.
6. Support Over-current protection and Over-voltage protection.
Analog Stepper Drives
These drivers may use THB7128 IC and can provide a micro-step resolution as much as 25600 steps per rev.
Some features of the analog stepper drivers you may concern:
1. The output current is selectable.
2. The micro-step resolution is selectable.
3. H-bridge Bipolar steady current driving.
4. The signal input and output are isolated.
6. The single pulse interface uses standard common anode.
7. Off-line protection available.
8. Semi-closed housing for the rough working condition.
9. Automatic semi-flow lock available.